Sunday, 18 March 2007

The forgiven ones


Lent 4 year C Sermon 2 Corinthians 5:16-21 and Prodigal Son

What’s the point...of being good?

Here in Rembrandt’s famous painting... the return of the prodigal son. You can just about hear the older brother’s anger...and bitterness

What’s the point of being faithful and obedient?

I just should’ve lazed around drinking and eating and having a good time and enjoying myself. I could’ve lied and cheated my way through school. I should’ve had that affair... I should’ve just put my kids into day care and got on with my career... I should’ve spent all my money on travel and excitement and cars and big houses and clothes.

But noooooo.... I did all the right things....never rebelled... tried to be a good and grateful child...
took care of the farm and the house...and the garden...
I obeyed you, I obeyed the law, I gave money to charity....never asked for anything....[pause]

I thought after all my years of devotion
and hard work... I could earn a special place in your heart... a place just for me.

Now it seems like a complete waste of my time.... I’m so angry I could cry...This whole brother thing just confirms what I’ve always suspected...
I’m never going to be loveable...no matter what I do...[pause.....]

And can you hear it...right there from that pile of rags on the floor in the shape of a man... you can hear the younger brothers’ anguished sobs?

‘This terrible stupid thoughtless thing I’ve done... I’ve ruined everything... I’ll pay for this the rest of my life...You’ll never trust me... or love me again.

I’ve lied and cheated and whored around...I’ve made a mess of everything. Wasted everything...I don’t deserve to be loved... I’m never going to be loveable...no matter what I do... [pause]

One brother says...I’m never gonna be lovable no matter what I do...and the other brother says... [pause]
I’m never gonna be lovable no matter what I do...

How can two people with such completely different life experiences...come to the same heartbreaking conclusion? ‘I’m never gonna be loveable...
no matter what I do...

It’s a very common lie people tell themselves...and others...a widespread misunderstanding...here in our church... and in our community...and that’s why we like to say... the bible lives. Because that’s exactly what the story of the Prodigal Son is all about... something many of us feel today..

Two brothers...

one trying to earn love...by being the good son...
the other certain...there’s no love left to earn... because he’s squandered it all...both labouring under the same self defeating illusion of being unloved and unlovable.

But did you notice what happens in the story Jesus tells about how the Father loves?
Did you notice the father throws dignity to the wind.. when he runs out... arms open wide... to greet his rebellious son...

and did you notice... the father ignores the rules of being a good host... as he walks out on all his guests ...to urge his bitter older son...to come back in and rejoice with him.

Come back....I love you... I’ve always loved you... let’s be reconciled...let’s patch things up...and let all our relationships be healed. [pause]

My child your attitude is wrong...your insistence you had to earn my love was wrong...you misunderstood and your brother misunderstood...I love you... regardless...in spite of....just come back home... just turn around and come back in.

Neither of you understand the way I see you...[pause]

And this attitude...this misunderstanding...
is what Paul is pointing out to the Corinthians in our other text we heard this morning.

We...Paul’s talking about Jesus followers...
we don't look at people the way the world looks at them.

And I’m reading from the Message Translation now…
we don't look at people the way the world looks at them. Why? ‘Because when Jesus died... he died for everyone. That puts everyone in the same boat. Jesus included everyone in his death so everyone could be included in his life, a resurrection life, a far better life than people could ever live on their own.’

When Jesus died... he died for everyone. Everyone...everyone, everyone...

Paul goes on...
‘God put the world square with himself...
through the Messiah, giving the world a fresh start by offering forgiveness of sins.’

In Jesus...God settled the relationship between us and him, and then called us to settle our relationships with each other.

So we don’t look at people the same anymore...we don’t look at ourselves the same anymore...dividing the world into the forgiven and the unforgiven...that’s the way the world looks at people...

And Paul tells us...God’s given us...Jesus followers... the job of telling everybody what God is doing.
We're Christ's representatives now.
We're speaking for Christ himself now... Paul says ...when we encourage people to make it up with God; because he's already waiting for them. And God uses us to encourage people... to make it up with each other. [pause]

‘Forgive us our sins as we forgive those who sin against us.’ Through the work of Jesus... everyone is forgiven... the only difference is.... people whose lives are a living hell...just don’t know about it...yet.

And we here beneath these mountains and beside these lakes...we are called to the same ministry of reconciliation to which the young church in Corinth was called. We’ve been commissioned...to tell everyone the good news...come back in from the cold of your bitterness...come home from your lost ness. We will welcome you as the father welcomes you.

The Father is waiting... arms open wide...and not just waiting... but running.... toward you... telling you you’re loved... and before you can even open your mouth... before you can say... Father I have sinned against you...

before a word is on your tongue... you’re hoisted high upon his shoulders... so the celebrating can begin. [pause]

We aren’t to look upon people as the world looks upon them...we’re to see them...the way Jesus taught God sees us.

And Jesus...the one who died for everyone says...
I am the way, the truth, and the life...and

no one comes to the father except through me...

and Paul reminds us...
If you’ve come back to the Father you’ve come back through Jesus...because Jesus has opened the way back to God for everyone

So come back from your guilt or your resentment of others...from your misunderstanding of grace.

In Jesus Christ you’ve already been forgiven...
all you have to do is receive it. Come back...
the Father is waiting.